The owner of the castle Woldemar Johann von Lauw founded many manufactories in the 18th century. The most exotic of them all was the porcelain manufactory founded in the year 1782. 6 Germans and 3 Estonians worked in this manufactory which was located in the castle yard. The products of the porcelain manufactory that were painted blue and white got general acknowledgement, but they couldn’t pay for the operating expenses and that’s why the production only lasted until the end of the 18th century. The Põltsamaa porcelain is rare. The porcelain items found during the excavations in the 1970’s are now situated in the Estonian Museum of Applied Art and Design and in the Põltsamaa Museum.