The first church in Põltsamaa was located on the left riverbank. The priest Eggehard was already mentioned in the year 1234. Põltsamaa was looted and the church destroyed during the war between Poland and Sweden in the year 1600. There is little known about the church, one can assume it also had defensive functions because if it didn’t, it probably wouldn’t of had been completely destroyed. The limestone corner console with a relief of two heads that had been melted together was found in the year 1960 at the old church site. It is believed that the faces on the corner console belong to two men – Jesus and Jude. That’s why the most respectable showpiece in the museum is called the kiss of the Jude. But it is also romantic to see female features on the face on the right side and that’s why there is a wide-spread rumour of the Põltsamaa kiss.